Away from the bustling city life, Astaranga Sea beach in Puri district of Odisha gives you a chance of retrospection in tranquility. ‘Asta-Ranga’ the name defines itself! ‘Asta’ means Sunset and ‘Ranga’ means Colour; that means Colourful Sunset. Many nature lovers and photographers visit here to enjoy and capture the ethereal beauty of nature during evenings. Spending time at this beach is as healing as beautiful. Moreover, there is a dargah named Jahania Pir which is admired by both the Hindus and Muslims. It is a famous picnic spot among the locals and people come here to relax in its peaceful environment.
How to reach?
Astaranga sea beach is located at a distance of 33 KMs from Konark Sun temple, 69 KMs from Puri Jagannath Temple, 75 KMs from our state capital Bhubaneswar and 80 KMs from Cuttack. It is just 15 KMs away from Maa Mangala temple of Kakatpur. You can easily hire a Taxi, Auto-rickshaw, and Bus or take your own vehicle to reach here as this place is well connected by roads from a number of places such as Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Puri, Kolkata and Patna.
*NH- 316 is the shortest route from Bhubaneswar to Astaranga on the road.
Nearest Railway Station: Puri Railway Station
Puri Railway station is well connected with major cities of India and the distance between Puri Railway Station and Astaranga beach is 68 KMs.
Nearest Airport: Biju Patnaik International Airport, Bhubaneswar
When to Visit?
From the three basic seasons the best and pleasant time to visit Astaranga sea beach is the winter season. During summers this place experiences scorching heat with the average temperature up to 40 degree Celsius in the day time. The monsoon starts by the middle of June which is humid and hot. So it’s good to plan a trip between the month of October and February.
What to do?
- If you are planning to make a picnic with your family, friends and relatives; then Astaranga Sea beach is a great option for you. The beach is clean and away from rush. The stretched coast line and its spellbinding ambiance will make you fall in love with this place. Many small shops are set up around the beach that sells mouth- watering foods. As it is a picnic ready place and if you are going on a picnic, there are some local shops which provides grocery items and cooking utensils.
- Astaranga beach is a family friendly beach covered with soft sand and its shimmering cool water will soothe your body and heal your soul. A long walk with coconut water in hand along its shore line is truly an awesome experience.
- Astaranga sea beach is a mass nesting of Olive Ridley Sea turtles and you’ll see a large number of these creatures crawling on the silvery sand during winter.
- Who doesn’t love a spectacular sunset? Astaranga Sea beach offers you the magical view of witnessing the golden orb of the sun falls beneath the sea horizon.
- For culinary enthusiasts, spending time at this beach is a complete delight as it provides the option of obtaining fish from the sea and grilling them right on the sea beach.
Why is Astaranga Beach famous for?
Pir Jahania Dargah:
At the edge of Astaranga Sea beach the holy sufi shrine of Pir Jahania is located; which is worth a visit, so Astaranga Sea beach is also known as Pir Jahania Beach. This pious shrine is dedicated to Saint Makhdum Jahanganst, therefore his umbrella and wooden shoes are kept there as relics. The unique fact about this famous place is it doesn’t follow any certain religion; both Hindu and Muslims visits here to pray and seek blessings by offering chadar.
Fishing Center of Puri:
Astaranga is a renowned fishing center of Puri and a small fishery market sits there on the sea beach. A crowd composed of the fishermen returning with their catches and nets from the sea and the craving buyers in the morning time set a perfect scene of human’s coexistence with nature.
Pir Jahania Beach Festival:
The beach festival at Pir Jahania is an open festival and held every year in the month of November coinciding with ‘Kartik Purnima’. The odia month of Kartik is said to be the most sacred month and all the religious festivities are observed this time. The beach is well occupied for setting up fairs in the time of beach festival. More than 1500 stalls, shops and exhibitions of traditional craft open for the public for 2 to 3 days in this trade festival. This event at Astaranga sea beach witness hundreds and hundreds of people from all over the state coming to enjoy this festival. This festival represents the tradition and culture of our Odisha and said to be a union of traditional with modern.
Some Tips for visiting Astaranga Sea Beach:
- Be careful when you are wandering in unknown parts of Astaranga sea beach because some areas are filled with quick sand and there are lots of chances of slippery.
- If you are planning to take a swim in the sea water, then the only suggestion is don’t try! The water is muddy and comprises of quick sand, so it sink in the water beds very quickly and there are possibilities of drowning.
- Apply lots of sunscreen on your face and body before heading to the beach.
- As there is no accommodation facility available here in Astaranga, you’ll need to book your stay in advance either at Puri, Konark or Bhubaneswar.
Astaranga sea beach is an enthralling yet unexplored place to enjoy and spend some peaceful and quality time. In spite of this, neatness is wholly assured! This serene beach is yet to be polluted by humans; hence before it happens, add this popular picnic spot on your travel list and visit straight away to the Astaranga sea beach whenever you’re in Puri or its neighbouring cities.
Read More : Top Most Beautiful Beaches In India